Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Here goes nothing...

It's 5:14am. 2 days, 6 hours, and 16 minutes before my plane takes off from San Francisco airport and heads for Madrid, marking the beginning of my year abroad as a Watson Fellow.

---okay, I wrote that 3 days, 21 hours, and 50 minutes ago, and then suffered from a massive case of writers' block. Sad, I know...

I am now safe and sound in Madrid. After chopping all my hair off, saying goodbye to my dear friends and family, whittling my luggage down to a combined 41 lbs, and sleeping through three flights, I finally met my friend J.P. in the Madrid airport. Here are some tid-bits from the adventure so far:

With my new haircut, I look like Keanu Reeves...but that's okay, I hear he's all the rage in Spain.



I also want to share a lovely piece of writing, which was provided by my grandmother at my farewell dinner. It reads:

"A SURVIVAL KIT FOR EVERYDAY LIVING:

1. toothpick - to remind you to pick out good qualities in others
2. rubber band - to remind you to be flexible; things might not always go the way you want, but it will work
3. band aid - to remind you to heal hurt feelings, yours or someone else's
4. pencil & pad - to remind you to list your blessings everyday
5. eraser - to remind you that everyone makes mistakes and it's okay
6. chewing gum - to remind you to stick with it; you can accomplish anything you set your mind to
7. mint - to remind you that you are worth a mint to your loved ones
8. candy kiss - to remind you that everyone needs a kiss or a hug everyday
9. tea bag - to remind you to relax daily and go over that list of blessings"

I cried when my grandma gave me this handwritten list and its accompanying homemade kit...it wasn't until later that I realized Grandma did not write that herself. I quote her: "I read that somewhere and thought it was really nice." Oh Grandma...how I will miss your loving gestures that bring me to tears--under false pretenses, of course. But really, I will miss laughing "with" you.


Here is a picture of my baggage in its entirety. I stayed up all night downsizing my things, until I was delirious enough to think I only needed five shirts. Being past midnight, I just realized I have nothing to sleep in. This issue is yet to be resolved.





Lastly is a picture of JP's eye after I punched him in the face. What? He was late meeting me at the airport!


Just kidding, when he saw my haircut his immediate response was "Why'd you do it?" I figured he deserved a good sock in the face.

Just kidding. Actually he did say that. But I didn't hit the guy. He brilliantly speed walked into a stone pillar. When we finally arrived at his apartment (after controlling the bleeding), he realized he had forgotten his keys. Based on today's events, I realize that JP is a real....um....good friend.

Beunas Noches,
Sachi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.