So I recently reached a few landmark milestones here in Spain, which I think provide a good segue into my upcoming trip across the northern region of Spain...
1. Someone asked me for directions, and I could provide them.
I had been questioned about directions before, but could never actually answer.
2. I helped an American who was lost on a train and couldn't speak Spanish.
aka. I'm like a real local
3. I cut my toenails for the first time since leaving home.
ever notice that toenails grow at a good rate for measuring how long you've been somewhere? kind of like getting your period...
4. I got bored.
I wasted an entire day watching Jon & Kate Plus Eight on my computer. I even paid for it on itunes. is that rock bottom?
Well, I think those milestones--mainly the last one--illustrate that I have officially become too comfortable in Madrid. It's a pretty clear sign that you're ready for new surroundings when you'd rather watch eight annoying toddlers and their parents' crumbling marriage than explore one of Europe's capital cities. I remembered the wise words of my good friend Evan, "you only regret what you don't do," and I booked my train tickets to Barcelona, Bilbao, and La Coruna. Northern Spain, here I come!
Sachi--did you ever find out what made you sick before? I think in some ways your friend is right--time to look at different places--but sometimes you (ok, sometimes I just need) just need to coast and integrate for a bit. But Jon and Kate? That's what things like Twilight are for. Meanwhile I'm not going to tell you what I waste time with. School is off to too interesting of a start. Love, Cindy
ReplyDelete